What is Housing Benefit and Do I qualify?

Housing Benefit helps people to pay their rent by receiving regular payments from the City Council in your area. You may qualify to receive this benefit if you are on low income or claiming benefits. You can’t get Housing Benefit to help with the costs of a mortgage or home loan

To find out if you qualify please visit Gov.uk or watch this short video from Shelter

Who pays for your rent?

To get Housing Benefit you must pay rent. It does not matter if your landlord is the council, a housing association or private landlord. You can also claim Housing Benefit if you rent a room in a hostel, or are a boarder. You can receive housing benefit if you share a flat or a house and can get Housing Benefit as a joint tenant or a sub-tenant. You cannot get Housing Benefit if you are 16 or 17 and currently in care.

You can only get Housing Benefit if you are responsible for paying the rent for your home, or live with your partner who is responsible for the rent. Only one member of a couple who live together can claim Housing Benefit (once single payment). You must also live in the accommodation for which you are claiming Housing Benefit.


What is the difference between Housing Benefit and Universal Credit (UC)?

Universal Credit (UC) will eventually replace Housing Benefit (tax credit and other benefits). Universal Credit is currently being rolled out in certain areas across the UK. Depending where you live; your personal circumstances; income and dependents you might be able to claim UC instead of Housing Benefit.

To find out more about Universal Credit please visit Citizen Advice or the Money Advice Service websites

What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged between 16 and 64 who because of a long-term illness or disability, may need help with daily activities or getting around. How much you receive depends on your PIP test score for daily living and mobility. There are two rates for each and “the amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself”:

Daily living
Standard £58.70 per week;
Enhanced £87.65 per week.

Standard £23.20 per week;
Enhanced £61.20 per week.

To do a mock PIP test please visit Turn2us
For more information please visit Citizen Advice


Innercity100 Winner 2002
IUKE Award Host Company Status
iSE Social Enterprise Hero 2009
West Bromwich Building Society Achiever of the Year Award
Wind Rush Gold Standard Winner 2002
West Midlands Minority Ethnic Achievement Award 2009